forums | blogs | polls | tutorials | downloads | rules | help

DS1 Legendary Mod for DS2 Beta Thread

This thread is devoted to comments, bug reports and fixes and discussion about the DS1 Legendary Mod for Dungeon Siege 2 and Dungeon Siege 2: Broken World.

Full version Installer version
DS2 Legendary Mod v1.01 Full Setup (1.18 GB)
Hosted on Goggle Drive.

DS2 Legendary Mod v1.01 at MODDB
DS2 Legendary Mod at Nexus Mods

Split version Installer version
DS2 Legendary Mod v1.01 installer (410Mb)
DS2 Legendary Mod v1.01 part two (410Mb)
DS2 Legendary Mod v1.10 part three (387Mb)
Download all three parts to the same location and run DS2_Legendary_Mod_v1.01_Setup.exe.
Thanks to MEGA Limited for hosting the file. The link goes to a separate page where the mod can be downloaded. I recommend right clicking and opening in a new tab or window.

Please note that the mod must be installed in the Dungeon Siege 2 resources folder even if you own Broken World. Unexpected glitches will occur if you don't.

The installer version also includes a number of min-mods and a simple mod manager to enable them, which isn't available if you download the mod as separate modules below.

Here's the links of all required files for the full version as separate modules;
Thanks to MEGA Limited for hosting the files. Each link goes to a separate page where the module can be downloaded.

DS1_Map_Legends_of_Aranna_Beta_v1.01.ds2res (37Mb)
DS1_Map_World_v1.01.ds2res (46Mb)
DS1_Map_Utraean_Peninsula_v1.01.ds2res (74Mb)
DS1_Map_Yesterhaven_v1.01.ds2res (20Mb)
DS1_Mod_Content_v1.01.ds2res (314Mb)
DS1_Mod_Logic_v1.01.ds2res (2.6Mb)
DS1_Mod_Sounds_v1.01.ds2res (343Mb)
DS1_Mod_Terrain_v1.01.ds2res (123Mb)
DS1_Mod_Voices_v1.01.ds2res (240Mb)
Mod-DS1Map-ArhokXP-Beta5.ds2res (30.2 Mb)
Diabloish Map for DS2 Beta 2e (15.5 Mb)
Level Adjustment Mod, Beta 5t (0.8 Mb)

Please note that the DS1 Content Pack is included within the mod but for reference here's the separate download link;
DS1 Content Pack, Alpha11b (19.2Mb)

Mod Game Manual
DS2_Legendary_Mod_Manual.pdf

Current Readme for KillerGremal Mods
DS1 Content Pack Readme: http://ds2.bplaced.net/getfile.php?redict=173&type=.txt
Level Adjustment Mod Readme: http://ds2.bplaced.net/getfile.php?redict=107&type=.txt
Diabloish for DS2 Readme: http://ds2.bplaced.net/getfile.php?redict=189&type=.txt

This mod allows players the opportunity to play Kingdom of Ehb, Utraean Peninsula, Legends of Aranna and Yesterhaven from the original Dungeon Siege in Dungeon Siege 2 and it's expansion, with all the benefits that provides. Think of it as more of a remastered version of the original Dungeon Siege than a mere port to a newer engine.

The mod is based on Killergremal's original work on the Utraean Peninsula, Kingdom of Ehb and Yesterhaven, found at this thread; http://siegetheday.org/?q=node/1330

Elys All*Saves or Elys' Succubus Manager is recommended to play the mod, which most users of this site probably already use. However either use v1 of All*Saves or turn off the seefar option in the launcher as the mod incorporates seefar moods directly in the maps for better balance without the glitches and distortions caused by using a too high a level of seefar in the launcher. Version 1 of Elys All*Saves is distributed in the installer version in original DS2 (v2.2), Broken World (v2.3) and Steam versions.

Partial Language Translations
French http://www.siegetheday.org/~iryan/files/Language_Packs/DS1_Mod_French_Language_Pack_Alpha_3.ds2res (138 Mb)

Forum Threads for KillerGremal's Mods
DS1 Content Pack & Diabloish http://siegetheday.org/?q=node/1330
Return to Arhok http://siegetheday.org/?q=node/1289

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Link to thread containing user made maps from DS1 that have started being converted to DS2.
https://www.siegetheday.org/?q=node/1916

Please put any comments, suggestions, reports, etc. about user made maps into that thread rather than here. All maps should be fully playable from start to finish but please expect bugs as they are still only alpha versions.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
bare_elf's picture
Will be ready to test when ready

iryan wrote:
bare_elf wrote:
sigofmugmort1 wrote:
Happy it's done Dance Cheer Dance Big smile

sad the playtesting is over Sad(

I really have over 500 posts on this Puzzled Shock with over 400 screenshots Shock Shock

Insane Dwarf

I might miss getting run-over by a certain Elf

I will still run you over my lovable Dwarf also throwing pies will not stop

Elf

Thank you very much everyone, the mod would never have got to this point without your support and perseverance. It ended up much more than a mere port of the old maps to DS2.

Off topic but there'll still be things to test sometime in the future. Now the Legendary Mod is basically done and dusted, I can move onto finishing Adepts. There is also third party maps for the Legendary Mod which probably could do with finalizing. However I can't even guess when I'll be able to get around to all of this.


We will still be here no matter how long it takes for you to get to Adepts and the third party maps Smile It will give me something to do when I am old and gray Tongue
Elf

Still things to test

bare_elf wrote:
sigofmugmort1 wrote:
Happy it's done Dance Cheer Dance Big smile

sad the playtesting is over Sad(

I really have over 500 posts on this Puzzled Shock with over 400 screenshots Shock Shock

Insane Dwarf

I might miss getting run-over by a certain Elf

I will still run you over my lovable Dwarf also throwing pies will not stop

Elf

Thank you very much everyone, the mod would never have got to this point without your support and perseverance. It ended up much more than a mere port of the old maps to DS2.

Off topic but there'll still be things to test sometime in the future. Now the Legendary Mod is basically done and dusted, I can move onto finishing Adepts. There is also third party maps for the Legendary Mod which probably could do with finalizing. However I can't even guess when I'll be able to get around to all of this.

bare_elf's picture
I will miss running over dwarves

sigofmugmort1 wrote:
Happy it's done Dance Cheer Dance Big smile

sad the playtesting is over Sad(

I really have over 500 posts on this Puzzled Shock with over 400 screenshots Shock Shock

Insane Dwarf

I might miss getting run-over by a certain Elf

I will still run you over my lovable Dwarf also throwing pies will not stop

Elf

KillerGremal's picture
Great Achievement

That's a really splendid installer! Cool
I just check out today the maps and everythings seems to work well!

Thanks for all the outstanding efforts! Smile

Happy and Sad

Happy it's done Dance Cheer Dance Big smile

sad the playtesting is over Sad(

I really have over 500 posts on this Puzzled Shock with over 400 screenshots Shock Shock

Insane Dwarf

I might miss getting run-over by a certain Elf

kathycf's picture
Congratulations

Congratulations to you both!

This has been an interesting project to follow these last few years. It also reflects a major investment in both time and modding talent. Kudos for all your hard work and dedication. Smile

kathy

Thank you iryan ...

.. and KillerGremal for giving us so much to get our teeth into. Stupendous achievement.

I've been amusing myself the last two-and-a-half weeks by playing LoA, the one map I never got round to testing before. I've just arrived on Mount Kretch through the portal after killing Nosirrom the lizard king.

On MODDB and Nexus Mods

The mod is now on both MODDB and Nexus Mods.
We'll see how it goes.

Thanks once again for the tremendous help I've received from everyone here in getting the mod to this point. It wouldn't be possible without you all. I've tried to credit everyone who helped with the mod but if I've overlooked you, please accept my apology.

Version 1.01 Released

Version 1.01 of the DS2 Legendary Mod has been released. This is the final public release version of the mod. You can download it either as an installer version (split into 3 due to recalcitrant rules of MEGA NZ, which would otherwise require people to install their desktop app) or as separate modular files.

The installer also includes some mini-mods which can alter behaviour of the mod or includes DS1 style additions. There's a simple preconfigured mod manager to help manage these small mods. It's nothing like the mod managers available for DS1 but its the best I could find.

I plan on putting the mod on Nexus Mods and Moddb at least. It'll probably find its way to other sites as well, if the betas are anything to go by.

So after 8 years since its inception by KillerGremal and 6 years since I became involved, the end of the road is upon us. It would have undoubtable been completed earlier except I had to take a break twice due to modding fatigue, for which I apologise.

So what now for the Dungeon Siege series (not mentioning DS3 as that was just a console derived ripoff)? I still believe that there's untapped potential in the DS2 engine but for some unfortunate mistakes by GPG held it back from every achieving anything like the modding success of DS1. Not understanding your target audience for a game you're making has to be the biggest mistake of all but GPG did it by including the ridiculous CRC check in saved games which inhibited modding. They attempted to target the multiplayer audience while not understanding the importance of supporting modding for the game. This lack of insight would prove to be the downfall of the company, Wildman anybody?

Anyhow I hope everyone enjoys the mod.

KillerGremal's picture
Better Monster Amounts

There is now a little update of the (Monster) Level Adjustment mod available (actually by the same link as before).
 
Luckily Iryan pointed me recently on a (little) bug that kept as floating intended monster levels too limited.
This bug is fixed now, and there is also now the 'monster_base_density' option - combined with the existing 'monster_bonus_per_member' option it attempts to offer more flexibility concerning varying resp. hardly unpredictable party sizes.

The current default of the 'monster_base_density' is 85% (hence trying to eliminate 15% of the common monsters) while the 'monster_bonus_per_member' is 7% now (recently 6%).
These defaults will become effective as soon as this mod is downloaded+activated for the map you are playing currently.

In theory however a lower base density and a larger addition per member is well imaginable, but as risk-reduction I hesitated a bit because it's not always easy to say (to technically detect) whether a monster is just here to provide fun/loot/exp/... or if this monster possilby has some quest relevance no other monster can perfom.

Positional aspect bug indeed

KillerGremal wrote:
iryan wrote:
. . . The bug with the doors is associated with those reported with the sanctuary doors, tables and similar furniture. Frequently the game ignores the blocking aspect of these objects, so you can walk through them. Why I don't know, probably for the same reason some triggers fail to work in one position but move them slightly and they suddenly work. So a positional aspect type of bug? I'm sure if I knew beforehand how troublesome this aspect of modding would be and how much of my life would be sucked into trying to fix them, the mod would never have been created.
Perhaps a positional matter indded, so could this happen because these objects do not touch exactly the ground!? And while some vertical offsets was accepted in DS1, in DS2 it's not for some reasons (remember the lever placement issue, also not that logical).

For an good/automatic work-around however screen-shots would be helpful, or the position data reported by a Ctrl-Alt-dropped health potion.

 
 

You were correct as always, it is indisputably a positional aspect misalignment bug that causes doors or other blocking type objects to suddenly become non-blocking. I made a simply test placing a number of doors and then blocking objects (the tables from the castle set) in a map so that they should block all movement through them.

I then deliberately raised a couple of them slightly above the ground and they became non-blocking. A final test of placing them back on the ground in the Editor then solved the issue and they became blocking again.

So a simple bug which can simply be fixed, assuming all such occurrences of this type can be reported for investigation and bug eradication. So thanks Eksevis for highlighting the issue once again and KillerGremal for the subtle hint which proved very easy to prove.

I know now it's my fault that many sanctuary doors became non-blocking as they often had to be shrunk in order to fit in the passage-ways. However very few doors were altered in the conversion so maybe a few doors have modified meshes in DS2. It may surprise many people that DS2 still has a lot of DS1 meshes in it's assets, though many/most are unused. Some have been modified and re-used, which is why the infamous lever bug first occurred (for those unaware, there's a lever from DS1 that is used in DS2 but has been modified in some way so that it becomes misaligned in DS1 maps. Replacing it with the original DS1 mesh fixes the problem in DS1 maps but causes the lever to sink into the ground in DS2 and so become unusable. The only true fix is to manually re-align every single lever in DS1 maps so they appear floating in mid air in the Editor but are actually touching the wall inside the game).

KillerGremal's picture
Tuning goes on and on and ...

iryan wrote:
. . . The bug with the doors is associated with those reported with the sanctuary doors, tables and similar furniture. Frequently the game ignores the blocking aspect of these objects, so you can walk through them. Why I don't know, probably for the same reason some triggers fail to work in one position but move them slightly and they suddenly work. So a positional aspect type of bug? I'm sure if I knew beforehand how troublesome this aspect of modding would be and how much of my life would be sucked into trying to fix them, the mod would never have been created.
Perhaps a positional matter indded, so could this happen because these objects do not touch exactly the ground!? And while some vertical offsets was accepted in DS1, in DS2 it's not for some reasons (remember the lever placement issue, also not that logical).

For an good/automatic work-around however screen-shots would be helpful, or the position data reported by a Ctrl-Alt-dropped health potion.

 
 

iryan wrote:
. . . You would have to ask KillerGremal why the DS1 Content Pack is still marked as an alpha after all of the time and I suspect the answer would be that there's a lot of unused functions and commands in the pack and therefore largely untested. . . .
Due to the lack of complaints the 11th Alpha could also be labelled as a 1st Beta perhaps, but that's easier to say afterwards. Wink

 

iryan wrote:
. . .
For instance he has extended the amount of flick functions that are available to modders, many unused by the Legendary Mod main maps though Return to Arhok may use more of those.
Or the new self-configuring mock-chests ('Mimics') or all the texture-switching components (for actors or items/weapons, to safe/reduce templates).
A big portion of the flick functions/conditions rather run in the background, hardly evident. Usually you only can say they are OK if they finally don't fail your intentions. Tongue

...and by the way, I think at Tristram on the Diabloish map there is currently a quite high amount of custom skrit/flick stuff running. Of course a lot of it is effective elsewhere too, but maybe with this density.
Honestly it's not the most significant town/map avaialbe at all, but exactly this makes it a good (urban) showcase to test and implement new things.

Eksevis's picture
What Stops It From Being Patched?

As the title says, what stops it from their being patches? It's productive, makes sense, and NOBODY would blame anyone for patching it, especially if it makes it better. Also, I was talking about The Kingdom of Ehb one. I get that having time is a thing, but does it really matter when it comes out so much that it eventually does? I would love to patch it myself, but I wouldn't really know how to.

Also, for the record, I was here a few years ago.

Way too late

Hi Eksevis. What a shame you weren't here with your input two or three years ago.

iryan wrote:
The cellar quest had issues when it was required that all "krug" are killed (aren't they spiders though?).
Spiders in UP (Elddim orchard cellar), Krug including the boss Scavenger in KoE (Edgaar's basement).

Some things may never be completely fixed

Eksevis wrote:
|x| UPDATE / P.S. 7:21 EST |x|

I've found a lot more bugs, some of them are probably already known, to be honest. I have some other opinions to add, too.

Torches you light can still be highlighted if you mouse over them. Very minor, but it'd be nice if they didn't.

All of the books should only be sparkling objects that you can click, like in DS2's campaigns so as to be more consistent.

The cellar quest should complete after you kill all of the krug.

It'd be nice if scrolls / chants were automatically added to your lore book.

Various NPCs drop items far away from their corpse, such as skeletons and skrubs.

Some textures don't 'blend' in with the next piece of land. Could easily be updated with textures, though it almost might be better to make a earth chunk that's more specific for this area.

The recruit sign over Ulora isn't directly over her.

You can walk through some doors.


I am aware of most of these issues but honestly none of them will ever be completely fixed. I just don't have the time to go through every minor issue and fix it.

The cellar quest had issues when it was required that all "krug" are killed (aren't they spiders though?). The same with the flooded sanctuary quest as well. Often the game misses a kill so then the quest could never be completed. Very frustrating to the player so I chose the lesser evil.

The bug with the doors is associated with those reported with the sanctuary doors, tables and similar furniture. Frequently the game ignores the blocking aspect of these objects, so you can walk through them. Why I don't know, probably for the same reason some triggers fail to work in one position but move them slightly and they suddenly work. So a positional aspect type of bug? I'm sure if I knew beforehand how troublesome this aspect of modding would be and how much of my life would be sucked into trying to fix them, the mod would never have been created.

DS1 Content Mod Not required

DrakeLyon wrote:
It's awesome to see it finally get here Smile Re-downloading everything now. Oh yeah, I was just wondering, is the latest DS1 Content Pack included or should I download 11b as well?

No the latest DS1 Content Pack is included in the current download modules. I thought it would be potentially confusing to users if the mod was marked as v1 but there was an alpha version of the DS1 Content mod which was essential to it.

Of course should KillerGremal make a new update to the DS1 Content mod, it will be a little awkward. Though it should only require an update to the DS1_logic.ds2res and not any of the other files.

You would have to ask KillerGremal why the DS1 Content Pack is still marked as an alpha after all of the time and I suspect the answer would be that there's a lot of unused functions and commands in the pack and therefore largely untested. For instance he has extended the amount of flick functions that are available to modders, many unused by the Legendary Mod main maps though Return to Arhok may use more of those.

DrakeLyon's picture
Whew! Version 1! :)

It's awesome to see it finally get here Smile
Re-downloading everything now.
Oh yeah, I was just wondering, is the latest DS1 Content Pack included or should I download 11b as well?

Eksevis's picture
Further Discussion on Possible Improvements

Gemeaux333 wrote:
I was thinking about an improvement : -the possibility to stack objects of a same type (up to 100) like potions and reagents

To be honest, I've thought about this a lot, and I've always come across the idea that it'd heavily unbalance the game - it'd become too easy to run around with a fucktonne of potions and not worry about your space. Regent wise, I don't think it'd be AS unbalanced. There could be a list where they're all stored like in Diablo III, but god knows how hard this would be to put into the game, and even then, it might end up being a large imbalancer too.

In theory, however, it could add more incentive to go out and farm for materials, and that sort of sounds fun - more reason to replay the higher difficulties!

iryan wrote:
I agree with you to a point but there's something you've overlooked.

Is it immersive for creatures such as wolves, bears, phrak and in DS2, bracken, terraks, gila, etc. to drop weapons, armor & gold when they're defeated? Where do they store it, under their skins or did they swallow it and regurgitated them when killed by your party? I believe that's a bigger issue with DS2 than skeletons carrying weapons and shields.

Yeah, but there's a difference of consistent logic in pretty much every single game ever and there being a very good point and finding a skeleton wielding a pickaxe in a trap in a hidden temple. I'm not asking for it to make sense in all cases, just in a small handful of cases, where it feels more like you've found something unique.

iryan wrote:
I've always wanted to make a mod to change the behaviour of the pcontent system in Dungeon Siege to make it more immersive as you say. Then monsters such as wolves would drop fur or wolf jaws, etc, mechanicals would drop iron scraps or copper wire, and so forth. It would also make enchanting more viable and crafting very viable as more items would be available for reagents. I believe this idea has been discussed a few times in the recent past and the problem is that it would be a major undertaking taking a long time to implement and even longer to test properly.

You'd have to rebalance the game, no doubt. It'd probably be easier to implement this and make a whole new campaign that supports this type of behavior, and honestly, that'd be really cool.

iryan wrote:
Understood. However the undead are already angered whenever anyone uses a healing spell or potion, which is also lore friendly. I suppose they also could be angered by the player picking up loot, I guess many things would make the undead angry about their position in life.

I'm not sure how I've not noticed the potion aspect of this, unless you're remembering it wrong. No biggie. Anyway, if anything, it should depend on the item that's picked up, or the enemy that's killed. Hell, you could even add where they retreat to a point, but this might once again end up being a case of having to rebalance the entire game. Of course it'd be cool to see as a mod on it's own, and not a part of Legendary Mod.

|x| UPDATE / P.S. 7:21 EST |x|

I've found a lot more bugs, some of them are probably already known, to be honest. I have some other opinions to add, too.

Torches you light can still be highlighted if you mouse over them. Very minor, but it'd be nice if they didn't.

All of the books should only be sparkling objects that you can click, like in DS2's campaigns so as to be more consistent.

The cellar quest should complete after you kill all of the krug.

It'd be nice if scrolls / chants were automatically added to your lore book.

Various NPCs drop items far away from their corpse, such as skeletons and skrubs.

Some textures don't 'blend' in with the next piece of land. Could easily be updated with textures, though it almost might be better to make a earth chunk that's more specific for this area.

The recruit sign over Ulora isn't directly over her.

You can walk through some doors.

I was thinking about an

I was thinking about an improvement :
-the possibility to stack objects of a same type (up to 100) like potions and reagents

Agree with you to a point but............

Eksevis wrote:
I'm not saying they should all be given the same weapons or shields, only that sometimes it doesn't make sense. Like when you go into the hidden place and one of them drops a fighting staff. It'd make sense to give them both fighting staves. Say the other doesn't drop because it's broken for whatever reason, and the other is still in pristine condition, hence the enchanted staff dropping.

Just adding these minor details could make it slightly more immersive.


I agree with you to a point but there's something you've overlooked.

Is it immersive for creatures such as wolves, bears, phrak and in DS2, bracken, terraks, gila, etc. to drop weapons, armor & gold when they're defeated? Where do they store it, under their skins or did they swallow it and regurgitated them when killed by your party? I believe that's a bigger issue with DS2 than skeletons carrying weapons and shields.

That's why I love Final Fantasy XII and XIII. Creatures only drop fur or items that you could reasonably be expected to find on such animals. Humans can drop gold or weapons as expected. You are expected to sell most of the loot at shops and buy weapons and armor from there.

Contrast that with Dungeon Siege where weapons and armor gained from loot is generally superior to anything you can buy in shops. Ditto enchanting and crafted items.

I've always wanted to make a mod to change the behaviour of the pcontent system in Dungeon Siege to make it more immersive as you say. Then monsters such as wolves would drop fur or wolf jaws, etc, mechanicals would drop iron scraps or copper wire, and so forth. It would also make enchanting more viable and crafting very viable as more items would be available for reagents. I believe this idea has been discussed a few times in the recent past and the problem is that it would be a major undertaking taking a long time to implement and even longer to test properly.

Then in such a mod, humanoid monsters would only drop something that they carried. Mostly broken or damaged and only suitable for selling but sometimes useful for equipping on your characters. Then the skeletons could be changed, though in the case of the puller staff, which I think is the one you're talking about, I can equip one on the skeleton to give the impression that it drops it when defeated. Which is easier for skeletons than other humanoids as they naturally explode on death, thus disintegrating the items they are equipped with. Which if you examine it closely, also breaks immersion as defeated humanoids still hold onto their weapons but you can't pick it up from them.

Eksevis wrote:
"You angered the NPC by picking up the gold".
Understood. However the undead are already angered whenever anyone uses a healing spell or potion, which is also lore friendly. I suppose they also could be angered by the player picking up loot, I guess many things would make the undead angry about their position in life.

My rationalization is that Krug, bandits, pirates, etc. are scavengers and so should be angry at anyone picking up loot they wanted for themselves. There are actually Krug Scavengers encountered at the start of KOE and UT as you know. It is also mentioned in some conversations that the Krug are ransacking the farmlands looking for magic trinkets especially. Gloern's brother mentions as much and refers to Commander Gresh and says that he believes the Goblins are behind it all.

bare_elf's picture
Leave the poor snakes alone!

The snakes are so easy to kill, can be done by looking at them with an evil grin. They need to be hidden and on the edges of things. Blend in with the grass and rocks and dirt. I some times let them attack me for a long time because they tickle.
Elf

Eksevis's picture
This Only Has a Subject Title Because Preview Forces You To Have

Iryan wrote:
Eksevis wrote:
Environment - Make it more "rounded", to look more natural. Might require a few added polygons. FAIRLY EASY
More than a few polygons would be needed trust me. All the nodes would have to be replaced and probably it would be quicker to redo the maps from scratch. We're talking about a 16 year old game after all. So not going to happen.

It would be better if some kickstarter mob proposed a true HD modern remake of the game but knowing Square-Enix's attitude, I would put the likelihood of getting permission or a licence to create such a remake as virtually zero. They are in the business of releasing remakes of all of their old Final Fantasy games, etc. but they all belong to their traditional brands not an acquired brand which bombed out in the last retail release (DSIII).


It wouldn't be so bad if you could copy and past the bits of the specific map after said slope. No idea if possible, but it'd be a good idea if it were.

Iryan wrote:
Eksevis wrote:
Select Outlines - Very nitpicky, but I feel this could improve overall the overall experience and look of the game, and that's to make the outlines less thick. UNKNOWN
As KillerGremal commented, have you checked out some of the other mods on his site? http://ds2.bplaced.net/mods/ The ring removal mod and object highlighting beta4 improve this aspect of the game out of sight. I always use them when playing and highly recommend them.
The problem is removing them IS a negative change. The only problem is that I think it could be tweaked to be better - not removed.

Iryan wrote:
Eksevis wrote:
Font - I have very sensitive eyes, so I'd argue this make sthe point stronger, but the font is somewhat hard to read, or at least harder than ti shoudl be. It should be made to be easier to read. EASY
Ditto as above. KillerGremal has Text size increased alpha 4. I haven't personally tried it as I use a 30inch television for a monitor.

In fact you should check out KillerGremals' other mods on his site, there's a lot of good ones there.


I've looked at them, it's just I feel that it shouldn't have to be increased to become readable. Font size is more about resolution - which is admittedly a pretty good point - and old people. I've responded to this point, but I suppose I might be able to explain it better; font-size changing should've been a part of the game from the get-go.

Iryan wrote:
Eksevis wrote:
Health Bar - Health Bars should be shown when your mouse scrolls over an enemy and friend (especially if they're in your group) UNKNOWN
I assume this is because of the font issue? Because the health of the enemies and party members are displayed in numerical form.
No, I just feel it'd be more user friendly than having to read a number. or having to look up and down a screen - so you only have to focus on one area more.

iryan wrote:
Eksevis wrote:
Skeletons (Legendary Mod) - They should be carrying proper weapons. It'd be okay to have them carrying their present weapons (Pickaxes and shovels) given the context and location, but none of them are in the contextually correct place where this would make sense. The current skeletons could be using heavily rusted gladiuses, The current ones could also be used as special / boss skeletons. EASY?
This feature is more for variety than contextually correctness (sounds similar to political correctness, which we get so much of down under that it makes you batty).

My own personal view that it's more contextually out of place fighting a swarm of skeletons, all carrying the same exact weapon, and shield for the guards. Perhaps the custom in the Kingdom of Ehb is to bury the dead with their worldly possessions for the afterlife (as the majority of skeletons are found in crypts or cemeteries) so to explain why some skeletons walk around carrying pickaxes and shovels - perhaps they were farmers or miners before they died.


I'm not saying they should all be given the same weapons or shields, only that sometimes it doesn't make sense. Like when you go into the hidden place and one of them drops a fighting staff. It'd make sense to give them both fighting staves. Say the other doesn't drop because it's broken for whatever reason, and the other is still in pristine condition, hence the enchanted staff dropping.

Just adding these minor details could make it slightly more immersive.

Iryan wrote:
Eksevis wrote:
Greedy NPCs (Legendary Mod) Make the NPCs that get greedy make more sense according to the lore - such as ghosts and skeletons, or gargoyles EASY?
You have lost me here. Greedy NPCs?
"You angered the NPC by picking up the gold".

Eksevis's picture
SnREaks

sigofmugmort1 wrote:
I like the snakes as is. They are SUPPOSED to be hard to see, this is realistic. There is a reason why you should NEVER just step over a log when walking in the woods.

Dwarf

Yeah, but realism ≠ good game design.

iryan wrote:
I agree with you and most of them are located on the periphery of each region. If you stick to the path you'll miss most of them.

That said, perhaps changing the hit box to make them easier to hit will help solve the issue.

Yeah. if you hate actually being able to kill the monsters, but right. a Larger hitbox would at least make it more excusable.

Maybe a larger hitt box

sigofmugmort1 wrote:
I like the snakes as is. They are SUPPOSED to be hard to see, this is realistic. There is a reason why you should NEVER just step over a log when walking in the woods.hi

Dwarf


I agree with you and most of them are located on the periphery of each region. If you stick to the path you'll miss most of them.

That said, perhaps changing the hit box to make them easier to hit will help solve the issue.

Snakes

I like the snakes as is. They are SUPPOSED to be hard to see, this is realistic. There is a reason why you should NEVER just step over a log when walking in the woods.

Dwarf

KillerGremal's picture
Objectivity not yet here

Eksevis wrote:
KillerGremal wrote:
Well, the visual perception of the game may vary quite a lot from one gamer to the other. Actually I have created once visualisation related mods - have you tried them out already? (...supposed the still work with Steam, if you have).

Honestly, most if not all of those mods are far more subjective. Font size, I feel is more subjective, and not so much about sensitive eyes as much as plainly bad eyes. There's generally a reason New Times Roman and Sans is used a lot. Now, I'm by no means saying we should use something that boring, but it could be improved. Of course font sizes should be in the options anyway; it wouldn't take away anything from the overall playability, and would in fact add to it for those.
. . .

'Subjective'?
...so I can't wait to see more subjective mods for a specific game feature/aspect, at least until we have one flexible mod to outdate all the subjective mod(s) finally.

I mean, in Microsoft Word Office Word or in other DTP tools for example you can change font type and font size within seconds, it should not be much harder to create a mod (or at least a set of mods) that does the same in DS2 !? ;=)

 
Flexible/global/'non-sujective' mods e.g. to set the font or cursor size/color or to define the thickness of highlightning object-outlines would be welcome for sure.
But usually there are strong technical restrictions behind, that you can't option-ize or even change it as wanted, often because it never was meant to change during development.
Or maybe it was considered, but then the developers dropped it because it took too long or was too expensive to implement it. And now it's so painful the change it with a mod, that you rather tend to spend your (leisure) time elsewhere.

Similar with polygons. To upgrade an existing 3D-object with additional polygons is not so hard perhaps, but I fear the chance for DS2 is rather/very low that we finally will see/enjoy such tunings on a bigger scale in-game considering time and work afford - sadly. Sad

Re: Criticism / Opinions on DS2 and Legendary Mod

Eksevis wrote:
Snakes - make them a different color and / or species, so they don't blend into the grass, or have them appear outside of the entirely green areas. Realistically it makes sense that they're almost impossible to see, but in a gameplay aspect, it causes trouble more than anything. EASY
I tend to play with the auto-engage mod so they tend not to be a problem to me and so I forget what it must be like playing default DS2. There are different skins I could use for sure but snakes are very weak anyhow. More for ambience value than for challenge. I'll look into changing their skins.

Eksevis wrote:
Environment - Make it more "rounded", to look more natural. Might require a few added polygons. FAIRLY EASY
More than a few polygons would be needed trust me. All the nodes would have to be replaced and probably it would be quicker to redo the maps from scratch. We're talking about a 16 year old game after all. So not going to happen.

It would be better if some kickstarter mob proposed a true HD modern remake of the game but knowing Square-Enix's attitude, I would put the likelihood of getting permission or a licence to create such a remake as virtually zero. They are in the business of releasing remakes of all of their old Final Fantasy games, etc. but they all belong to their traditional brands not an acquired brand which bombed out in the last retail release (DSIII).

Eksevis wrote:
Select Outlines - Very nitpicky, but I feel this could improve overall the overall experience and look of the game, and that's to make the outlines less thick. UNKNOWN
As KillerGremal commented, have you checked out some of the other mods on his site? http://ds2.bplaced.net/mods/ The ring removal mod and object highlighting beta4 improve this aspect of the game out of sight. I always use them when playing and highly recommend them.

Eksevis wrote:
Font - I have very sensitive eyes, so I'd argue this make sthe point stronger, but the font is somewhat hard to read, or at least harder than ti shoudl be. It should be made to be easier to read. EASY
Ditto as above. KillerGremal has Text size increased alpha 4. I haven't personally tried it as I use a 30inch television for a monitor.

In fact you should check out KillerGremals' other mods on his site, there's a lot of good ones there.

Eksevis wrote:
Health Bar - Health Bars should be shown when your mouse scrolls over an enemy and friend (especially if they're in your group) UNKNOWN
I assume this is because of the font issue? Because the health of the enemies and party members are displayed in numerical form.

As the ui will shown health bars of the actively engaged monster, this could probably be done but it's certainly beyond the scope of the Legendary Mod. While KillerGremal has fixed some of the issues DS2 has in this mod, more of them have been fixed in Aranna Legacy and the Hotfix mod and should such a feature be developed, it most likely will be done in those mods.

Eksevis wrote:
Skeletons (Legendary Mod) - They should be carrying proper weapons. It'd be okay to have them carrying their present weapons (Pickaxes and shovels) given the context and location, but none of them are in the contextually correct place where this would make sense. The current skeletons could be using heavily rusted gladiuses, The current ones could also be used as special / boss skeletons. EASY?
This feature is more for variety than contextually correctness (sounds similar to political correctness, which we get so much of down under that it makes you batty).

My own personal view that it's more contextually out of place fighting a swarm of skeletons, all carrying the same exact weapon, and shield for the guards. Perhaps the custom in the Kingdom of Ehb is to bury the dead with their worldly possessions for the afterlife (as the majority of skeletons are found in crypts or cemeteries) so to explain why some skeletons walk around carrying pickaxes and shovels - perhaps they were farmers or miners before they died.

Eksevis wrote:
Greedy NPCs (Legendary Mod) Make the NPCs that get greedy make more sense according to the lore - such as ghosts and skeletons, or gargoyles EASY?
You have lost me here. Greedy NPCs?

Eksevis wrote:
--NITPICKS--

Spellbooks - in DS1, they were rightside up, but in DS2, they're laying down. Books are most commonly placed rightside up in storage.
FAIRLY EASY


I must confess I have never paid any attention to what way the books were facing.

Eksevis's picture
Re

KillerGremal wrote:
Well, the visual perception of the game may vary quite a lot from one gamer to the other. Actually I have created once visualisation related mods - have you tried them out already? (...supposed the still work with Steam, if you have).

Honestly, most if not all of those mods are far more subjective. Font size, I feel is more subjective, and not so much about sensitive eyes as much as plainly bad eyes. There's generally a reason New Times Roman and Sans is used a lot. Now, I'm by no means saying we should use something that boring, but it could be improved. Of course font sizes should be in the options anyway; it wouldn't take away anything from the overall playability, and would in fact add to it for those.

What you're thinking is more along the lines of art style. On a design aspect, the grass snakes are heavily flawed.

As for the outlines, the problem isn't that they're there, the problem is that at times they're overly thick, and makes it distracting. In fact, DS2 is better for having them over just a lighter color pallet. If nothing else, the size and thickness changes. AS a rough guess, it probably has something to do with hitboxes.

KillerGremal wrote:
And about the polygons... They are possibly sold out a bit ;=), but cool to imagine and appreciated when more

Apparently, to optimize it and make it look better you don't even have to add many. Just adding 7 polygons, according to the creators of Crysis helps a lot.

KillerGremal's picture
Help it yourself

@Eksevis: Well, the visual perception of the game may vary quite a lot from one gamer to the other.
Actually I have created once visualisation related mods - have you tried them out already? (...supposed the still work with Steam, if you have).

And about the polygons...
They are possibly sold out a bit ;=), but cool to imagine and appreciated when more.

Eksevis's picture
Criticism / Opinions on DS2 and Legendary Mod

Snakes - make them a different color and / or species, so they don't blend into the grass, or have them appear outside of the entirely green areas. Realistically it makes sense that they're almost impossible to see, but in a gameplay aspect, it causes trouble more than anything.
EASY

Environment - Make it more "rounded", to look more natural. Might require a few added polygons.
FAIRLY EASY

Select Outlines - Very nitpicky, but I feel this could improve overall the overall experience and look of the game, and that's to make the outlines less thick.
UNKNOWN

Font - I have very sensitive eyes, so I'd argue this make sthe point stronger, but the font is somewhat hard to read, or at least harder than ti shoudl be. It should be made to be easier to read.
EASY

Health Bar - Health Bars should be shown when your mouse scrolls over an enemy and friend (especially if they're in your group)
UNKNOWN

Skeletons (Legendary Mod) - They should be carrying proper weapons. It'd be okay to have them carrying their present weapons (Pickaxes and shovels) given the context and location, but none of them are in the contextually correct place where this would make sense. The current skeletons could be using heavily rusted gladiuses, The current ones could also be used as special / boss skeletons.
EASY?

Greedy NPCs (Legendary Mod) Make the NPCs that get greedy make more sense according to the lore - such as ghosts and skeletons, or gargoyles
EASY?

--NITPICKS--

Spellbooks - in DS1, they were rightside up, but in DS2, they're laying down. Books are most commonly placed rightside up in storage.
FAIRLY EASY